There’s not a day goes by without the media talking about the impact of depression on society. Why does it affect so many people? If I knew the answer to this question , I would be a millionaire.
Life is tough at the best of times. The average household in the UK now owes a record amount of £12,887, even before mortgages are taken into account, according to the TUC.8 Jan 2017 – this alone can cause stress ! I have worked in the banking industry and seen the real life impact of redundancy , debt , stress , depression and divorce. Been through a few of these myself 🙁
How do people bounce back? Well many don’t. For some asking for help is seen as a sign of failure or weakness. Which sounds crazy but people just fear the judgement being honest will create. How do you tell your family, friends or work colleagues that you are struggling to cope. I have watched many depressed colleagues try to spend their way to happiness. It can work on a temporary basis – but if spending is the only external factor in your life that makes you happy – this can be an expensive habit / hobby!
There are many debt counselling agencies out there – some offer the world and deliver nothing. Close friends of mine have handed over their well earned money to agencies believing that their debt was being paid for them , only to find 18 months down the line only £1 was being sent to each creditor. Frightening but truthful.
Jobs are not as easy to secure as they used to be. Many years ago even when I dropped out of Uni – I had my pick of jobs – 2 offers in banking so I was lucky and was able to choose my preference. I have been working now for nearly 30 years , 14 of which have been self employed – boy has that been fun.
Divorce – causes no end of financial pressures , keeping up appearances with the Jones – should we fall into this trap. It’s not always easy to say No to invites / events / school trips etc. Remortgaging to escape unhappy relationships is often the only answer – or selling up !
It’s no wonder so many people feel depressed. How do you break free – I hear you ask? For some its counselling , therapy , coaching – so much to choose from. But then there comes an added issue – all of this costs money – if you are waiting for a doctors referral it can be weeks – too long to wait in some cases. Many people carry on suffering in silence – for fear of being judged . ” What will people think if I tell them I am ill , I am depressed or stressed” Communication can be the root of all evil – too little can cause problems – too much can make you the talk of the office.
Who do you trust , who do you turn to? I have been very luck in life to find the people I need just when I need them. Or do they find me – I really can’t say. But what I can share is – asking for help is the first step to recovery. To feeling better about yourself.
I am no longer afraid to admit there have been some very dark times in my life , some dreadful times. But hey bouncebackability is now my middle name.
You have to want to change …. change does not happen all by itself. So if you are looking for a little help I would recommend :-
- looking after yourself no one else will do this for you – reduce your stress levels with this range of products – I can personally recommend them.
- be the person you want to be and not the person you think others want you to be
- set yourself daily , weekly and monthly challenges – ones you can and will achieve – be realistic
- be happy – book time out for yourself
- if you need support – ask for it – therapy , friends.. you will know who you can trust
- stop worrying – it does you no good ! you end up over thinking everything and doing nothing !
- keep yourself healthy – healthy body healthy mind – read more about science Click here
- treat yourself – within your budget restraints – ladies looking for fab beauty products then click here
- keep a diary – it’s great to go back and read of your successes and see just how far you have come
- read more ……….. you will be amazed at what you can learn and how quickly you change your outlook on life . Want to learn something new click here insert SMILE at checkout and watch the price drop
- watch movies that make you laugh
- listen to music …. from when you were younger ! Brings back great memories
- take action NOW
Do not suffer in silence , life is for living . I wish I had taken all of my own advise years ago.
If you would like to book a FREE coaching session – drop a comment below – tell me in less than 100 words why you are ready to start your own change revolution !